Attractions in Lake Manyara National Park
Attractions in Lake Manyara national park are the things that entice tourists to visit the national park. Lake Manyara national park is located in the northern tourist circuit of Tanzania which also consists of Serengeti national park, Tarangire national park and Ngorongoro conservation area.
Lake Manyara national park is located between Tarangire national park and Ngorongoro conservation area making it a strategic location for seeing its different attractions and engaging in the various activities at the destination during a safari.
To access the national park, safaris to Lake Manyara national park begin in Arusha which is in a close proximity of the national park and foreign tourists pay entrance fees of about 53 USD to access the national park while the locals and East African residents are charged in Tanzania shillings. Road and air means of transport are available for tourists to access this national park to explore its attractions.
These attractions can be seen as tourists explore the wilderness of Lake Manyara national park during the different game viewing experiences that take place at this destination and they include the following;
- Lake Manyara is a major attraction in the national park and is known for having an abundance of bird species along its shores as well as a good number of hippos in the shallow waters. This lake is described as being shallow and alkaline and is also said to cover about two thirds of the national park.
- Wildlife species are among the attractions in Lake Manyara national park and there is a diversity of these animals although the number cannot be compared to other wildlife viewing destinations in Tanzania.
These wildlife species can be seen in their natural habitat in the national park which consists of a forest made of mahogany trees and is a good location to spot giraffes, monkeys as well as buffalos. In the open savannah plains of the national park, wildlife species such as elephant herds, zebras, dik dik, klipspringers, lions, impalas, giraffes, cheetahs, hippos, gazelles, warthogs as well as baboons can be seen.
Elephants are among the common wildlife sightings in the national park and they can be seen moving around gracefully in their herds especially in areas around Lake Manyara national park which have thick vegetation. The many numbers of elephants in the national park are attributed to the reason for establishment of the national park which was the national park which was meant to protect the elephants.
Baboons are also many in numbers in this national park and are very social animals. Another rare wildlife sighting in this national park is the tree climbing lions which can be seen clinging to the tree branches. The tree climbing lions can be seen in few other locations in the world such as in Ishasha sector in Queen Elizabeth national park located in south western Uganda. Many tourists are often curious about the reason as to why these lions climb trees and it is said that the lions climb trees in order to avoid insects such as tsetse flies and to also enjoy the shade and breeze in the trees.
- Bird species are also among the attractions in Lake Manyara national park especially along the shores of Lake Manyara and they include storks, pelicans, hornbills, secretary birds, eagles, ostriches, hawks, babblers, flamingos among others.
- The scenery around Lake Manyara national park is also an attraction which tourists look forward to exploring and it comprises of an outdoor experience along a treetop walkway within the national park where different birds can be seen as well as playful monkeys. Tourists visiting this national park can also get views of the Great Rift Valley and enjoy photography.
- The diversity of habitats in Lake Manyara national park is another factor that attracts tourists to visit this destination and it is home to the various wildlife species that roam around the savannah plains and acacia woodlands, mahogany trees and aquatic terrains.
Apart from the physical attractions that can be seen in Lake Manyara national park, tourists are also attracted to the amazing experiences in this national park despite its small size compared to other wildlife viewing destinations in the country. There are also a variety of activities to engage in during a safari experience in this national park and they include the following;
Game drives in Lake Manyara national park are the common wildlife viewing experience in this national park and they take place at different times of day which include morning game drives, afternoon and evening game drives as well as full day game drives. During morning game drives, tourists can see a variety of wildlife species since the animals are very active and can easily be seen roaming around the national park compared to afternoon or evening game drives. Full day game drives involve a whole day of wildlife viewing and start in the morning which means the chances of the tourists seeing the attractions like wildlife species such as elephants, tree climbing lions, gazelles, impalas, zebras, antelopes, buffalos, giraffes, warthogs, hippos among others is high.
Nature walks are another unique way of experiencing the attractions around Lake Manyara national park and involves. These nature walks take place in the company of a guide who takes tourists around the national park and to experience the nature and wilderness around them and these nature walks also include moving along the treetop walkway where monkeys and birds can be seen among the trees.
Maasai experiences are a cultural interaction which takes place in Mto wa Mbu town located along the way to lake Manyara national park. During these interactions, tourists engage in a variety of activities such as visiting the traditional homesteads of the Maasai known as “manyattas”, traditional dance performances of the Maasai, making beaded jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets and anklets, listening to folk songs and stories, visiting the kraals and getting to know more about the nomadic way of life of the Maasai people. The Maasai are also an attraction themselves due to their unique culture and way of life.
Visit Lake Manyara national park and explore its attractions for amazing safari experiences by booking your safari with focus east Africa tours and create memories in the wilderness of one of Tanzania’s scenic destinations.